Boring is good on tax returns, but here are some unusual deductions taxpayers managed to get approved.
Tax day was yesterday. Did you deduct any of these strange but legitimate tax deductions?
- Any whalers out there? Whaling captains are eligible for up to $10,000 in deductions on ship expenses. One slight catch – whaling is banned in the U.S. for all but Native American cultures.
- Many people know that moving expenses when relocating for new job are tax deductible. You might be surprised to learn the cost of moving your pet is also included in this write off.
- The musically inclined will be happy that clarinet and music lessons both qualify as a write off.
- Go straight to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. But you can deduct your legal expenses if you were caught. That’s right – criminals can write off their legal defense.
- If you’re a professional meat processor in South Carolina, you’re in luck! You can get a $50 rebate if you donate a processed deer carcass to feed the hungry.