We base our scoring system on the following information:
- Direct and indirect corporate donations
- Activities and stated policies from these companies
- Documented sponsorships for various political and advocacy-related events
- Corporate leadership donations, activity and advocacy
- Lobbying spent for or against various issues on the federal and state levels
We use this information to score each company on a scale of 1 to 5 on various issues.
The scale is calculated as follows:
- Liberal – Direct donations to liberal organizations, such as pro-abortion groups or gun control groups. Having liberal values in the company’s main business platform.
- Lean Liberal – Third party donations to groups that support or fund liberal organizations causes, matching gifts to liberal organizations or causes, or any indirect support to liberal organizations or causes.
- Neutral – Absence of any support of liberal organizations or causes. A company can also score neutral if they equally support liberal and conservative causes.
- Lean Conservative – Third party donations to groups that support conservative organizations or causes, matching gifts to conservative causes or groups, or any indirect support for conservative organizations or causes.
- Conservative – Direct funding to conservative groups, such as pro-life groups and pro-2nd Amendment groups. Having conservative values in the company’s main business platform.